Thursday, February 12, 2009

When no one is watching. . . .what do you do?

Yesterday I had someone mention that she enjoys this blog. What? There's really someone out there? I was busted! I admit it, I've been inconsistent about writing because I thought no one noticed. That reminds me of a great lesson for all of us, especially for me. How do you perform or act when no one is looking? As an athlete, I always gave 100% when the coach was monitoring us. Heck, I even gave 100% when he or she wasn't because I wanted to be the best. Do you do your best at work even when the boss isn't around? How hard do you try when you workout at home? Sure, you're a good parent and spouse when the in-laws come over, but how about when you're home alone? A lot is revealed about a person's character by what they do when no one is looking. Success comes to those who give it their all for the right reasons - pride in a job well done, personal satisfaction, the drive to improve and succeed, the desire to help others - not for the external approval. Praise and compliments are fleeting; pride and progress are lasting. By having the discipline to work hard regardless of the situation, you're creating the habits and work ethic that breed success. So whatever you are doing today, give it 100% - even if you don't have an audience.

No comments: